A few of you asked for something sweet when I did these menus in the past. I admit I do not eat a lot of sweet things, So for me to not have biscuits, cakes and chocolate is not a big deal. I have, however, acknowledged that many of you do crave a bit of sugar in your lives 🙂 so I came up with this 2-in-1 recipe that does not sacrifice all your eggs and butter as sweet treats.
I made this recipe by combining two basic recipes and diving the batter to create 8 little cornflake cookies and 6 fruit salad cupcakes. They are just enough to satisfy that 11:00am craving for “something” with that morning tea cuppa.
“Sweet Treats – 2 in 1 “
Makes 6 cupcakes & 8 Biscuits
¼ cup (62g) Butter
⅓ cup (74g) Sugar
¾ cup plus one tablespoon (120g) Self Raising Flour
½ cup Cornflakes
¼ cup canned fruit salad well drained
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced oven. Line muffin pan with papers
Place baking paper on a small baking pan
- Place the ¼ cup of fruit salad in a strainer over a bowl and allow to drain well.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 2 bowls at this point.
- In one bowl, add ½ cup cornflakes. Mix gently and divide into 8 small teaspoonful’s. (they should be about the size of a 50c piece, they will spread a bit in the oven)
- Place on the baking sheet, press down slightly to flatten and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar. (the sugar will add a sweet crunch to the top of the biscuit)
- In the second bowl, lightly stir together the remaining batter, adding the fruit and a little bit of milk if it needs it. (maybe at most 2 tablespoons)
- Spoon into muffin cases.
- Place both pans into the oven. Check after 15minutes. The biscuits should be ready, while the cupcakes may be needing another few minutes.
- Remove biscuits from oven and allow to cool. When the cupcakes are ready, remove from oven, leaving them in the muffin pans for 2 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool